Search for:
  • Home/
  • Reviews/
  • 6 Most Poisonous Plants and Flowers to Avoid

6 Most Poisonous Plants and Flowers to Avoid

Gardens have a universal appeal. They brighten a dismal world. Gardening is good for health, soil, and wildlife. It’s a great way to reduce stress, set goals, and learn to nurture something. It’s also a great way to become more sustainable at home.

However, some plants and flowers can potentially be dangerous. They are a real risk to pets and kids. Here are six to avoid, curated by experts from real money online slots.

1. Lily of the Valley

The Lily of the Valley is a perennial flower that naturally grows in the Northern Hemisphere. It is widespread in the Appalachia region in the US, Europe, and Asia. Many people (including me) grow this flower in their gardens as an excellent groundcover. It blooms in the late spring, and the beauty of its white, bell-shaped, adorably smelling blooms and tiny orange-red berries is absolutely incredible. If you accidentally swallow this plant or any part of it, you can experience blurry vision, headaches, drowsiness, disorientation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rashes, and irregular heartbeat. To avoid death outcome, seek emergency medical intervention right away.

2. Castor Oil Plant (Castor Bean)

Castor oil originates from Africa, the Mediterranean, and India. Commercially, this plant is cultivated in China, India, and Brazil. Nowadays, it is widespread throughout the world thanks to the healing properties of its oil and the beauty of its yellowish green flowers and attractive, unusual red center. This plant is an unavoidable home remedy and incredibly beautiful. However, toxic seeds of this flower contain ricin, probably the most poisonous naturally substance we have ever heard about. Believe it or not, just one tiny seed can kill a child after internal bleeding and severe dehydration caused by diarrhea and vomiting. Luckily, the fatal outcome is really rare. In some cases, it is possible to experience an allergic reaction to the seeds’ dust, courtesy of top rated online casino.

3. Foxglove

The beauty of bell-shaped, purple, white, or pink blooms of this plant is enchanting, and some of the compounds which this flower contains are an excellent remedy for congestive heart failure. William Withering was the first physician who used Digitalis in the treatment of edema. He also described a medical use of this plant and symptoms of its toxicity in 1785. However, don’t let it fools you. The entire plant is deadly toxic, especially the leaves from the top of the plant thanks to the high concentration of poisonous chemicals digitalin, digitonin, and digitoxin in them.  Only twenty minutes after ingesting its leaves, the first signs of poisoning will appear, including bradycardia, irregular pulse, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.

4. Giant hogweed

Giant hogweed has hollow stems that contain a noxious sap. This sap can cause the skin to blister when exposed to sunlight. The sap can also result in temporary or permanent blindness if it gets into the eyes.

5. Daffodils

Daffodils contain lycorine which is a toxic chemical. Lycorine is most concentrated in the bulb. Eating any part of a daffodil, including the bulb, will result in vomiting, nausea, pain in the abdomen, and diarrhoea. Eating the bulb can also irritate the mouth. The symptoms are not life-threatening and will resolve in 3 hours.

Leave A Comment

All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.