Barbecue chicken is a staple food for anyone who enjoys grilling in the summer. Here is a low sodium recipe for a perfectly seasoned and tender chicken.
- 75 to 2 kg (3 1 / 2-4 lb) chicken breast with bones, thighs and/or pestles
- 45 g (3 tablespoons) Kosher salt
- 22 g (1 1/2 tbsp.) Sugar
- 2 g (1/2 c) ground black pepper
- 375 ml (1 1/2 t) low sodium BBQ sauce (see below).
Preparation time: 5 minutes, plus 2 to 3 hours of marinade.
Cooking time: 35 minutes
For 6 persons
- Remove any excess fat from the chicken pieces.
- Put the salt, sugar and 250 ml (one cup) of hot water in a large zipper bag. Shake to dissolve salt and sugar. Add 700 ml (2 3/4 cups) of cold water and chicken pieces. Remove the air, close and refrigerate for two to three hours.
- Remove the chicken and discard the marinade. Gently dry chicken with paper towel and sprinkle with pepper. Let the chicken stand at room temperature for 20 minutes until the grill heats up.
- Heat a grill over medium heat. If you use charcoal, stack the hot charcoal on one side of the grill leaving the other unheated. If using gas, do not light the burners on one side of the grill. The temperature gauge on your grill should be approximately 180 ° C (350 ° F).
- Put the chicken, skin side up, on the unheated portion of the grill. Cover and cook, turning once or twice until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices are clear, for 30 to 40 minutes in total. The whites cook faster, check them first. The temperature should be about 76 ° C / 170 ° F for whites and 80 ° C / 176 ° F for the thighs.
- During the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking, move the chicken on the heated part of the grill to brown it on all sides. Brush with barbecue sauce for the last five minutes.
- Place the chicken on a serving platter.
You May Also Like To Read: HOW TO MAKE CRISPY FRIES
- 223 calories
- 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat)
- 14 g of carbohydrates
- 32 g protein
- 0 g of fiber
- 98 mg of cholesterol
- 814 mg of sodium
- 25 mg of calcium.
Low Sodium BBQ Sauce
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For 750 milliliters (3 cups).
- 500 ml (2 t) low sodium ketchup
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) dark brown sugar
- 45 ml (3 tablespoons) cider vinegar
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) mustard
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 10 mL (2 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1 mL (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) garlic powder
- 2 ml (1/2 c) onion powder
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp) ground black pepper.
- Mix the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer until thickened, and reduce to about 400 milliliters (1 3/4 cup) for 20 minutes.
- Use immediately or allow to cool and refrigerate in an airtight container for at least one month.
Nutritional information per serving: 14 calories, 0 g fat (0 g saturated fats), 3 g carbohydrates, 0 g protein, 0 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 37 mg sodium, 3 mg calcium
There are two rules to make chicken perfectly juicy and grilled. First, shred the chicken to keep it tender. Second, brush the chicken with the barbecue sauce only at the end of cooking.